Our Central West office is located at 19 Duck Street, Longreach. NWRH Longreach is our base for Allied Health and Mental Health and Wellbeing.
Contact us in Longreach
Local Healthcare Services
NWRH is a not-for-profit organisation providing healthcare services throughout Longreach and surrounds. We work closely with you and your family to provide healthcare tailored to your needs. Our wide range of services includes allied health and mental health and wellbeing services.
Whether you want to rebuild skills after an injury or maintain your independence as you age, our multidisciplinary team at NWRH is here to help. We employ nurses, physiotherapists, speech pathologists, and a variety of other healthcare professionals. This allows us to provide holistic health services which focus on all aspects of your wellbeing.
Frequently Asked Questions
Physiotherapy is a type of therapy that uses physical techniques to treat problems with movement. It can also help to relieve pain and improve the function of the body. Physiotherapists use a range of techniques, including exercises, massage and heat or cold therapy.
The term allied health is relatively new and there is still no universally accepted definition of allied health professions. Instead different governments and government departments, health service providers, health insurers, and education providers include different professions under the heading ‘allied health’. However, there is general agreement on some basic principles: allied health professionals are health professionals that are not part of the medical, dental, or nursing professions. They are university-qualified practitioners with specialized expertise in preventing, diagnosing, and treating a range of conditions and illnesses. Allied health practitioners often work within a multidisciplinary health team to provide specialized support for different patient needs.
Allied Health Professions Australia, in its role as the national voice for allied health in Australia, has defined an allied health profession in the following way.
An allied health profession is one which has:
- a direct patient care role and may have an application to broader public health outcomes
- a national professional organization with a code of ethics/conduct and clearly defined membership requirements
- university health sciences courses (not medical, dental, or nursing) at AQF Level 7 or higher, accredited by their relevant national accreditation body
- clearly articulated national entry-level competency standards and assessment procedures
- a defined core scope of practice
- robust and enforceable regulatory mechanisms.
Furthermore, the profession must consist of allied health professionals who:
- are autonomous practitioners
- practice in an evidence-based paradigm, using an internationally recognized body of knowledge to protect, restore and maintain optimal physical, sensory, psychological, cognitive, social and cultural function
- may utilize or supervise assistants, technicians, and support workers.
There is no single answer to this question as eligibility for aged care in Australia depends on a number of factors, including your age, health and living situation. To find out if you are eligible for aged care services, you can contact our team and discuss your situation.
My Aged Care is your starting point for accessing Australian Government-funded aged care services.
We provide the information and support you need to understand, access, and navigate the aged care system. You can access My Aged Care online, on the phone or in person.
My Aged Care provides:
- information on the different types of aged care services available
- an assessment of needs to identify eligibility and the right type of care
- referrals and support to find service providers that can meet your needs
- information on what you might need to pay towards the cost of your care.
Knowledgeable Carers, Tailored Support
At NWRH, we are committed to improving healthcare access for all community members, regardless of where they live. We provide allied health services, which means our team is made up of health workers who have skills in a range of areas. This allows us to offer tailored services to suit your needs. Our services include:
- Allied healthcare: dietitians, exercise physiologists, podiatrists and more
- NDIS services: personal assistance, occupational therapy, physiotherapy and more
- Mental health services: mental health nurses, psychologists and more
One of the major barriers to getting adequate care is accessibility. That’s why our team at NWRH strives to improve awareness of the services available and connect you with our local health professionals. We can also advise on funding options that may be suitable for your situation, such as NDIS and My Aged Care. From Lochem National Park to Muttaburra and beyond, we offer healthcare services throughout Longreach.